After nine long months, South Africa has finally opened its borders for Indian tourists. All international travel was stopped by South Africa way back
After nine long months, South Africa has finally opened its borders for Indian tourists. All international travel was stopped by South Africa way back in March 2020 due to the rampant spread of Novel Coronavirus. It was in October 2020 that South Africa started opening its borders to international tourists from a few countries barring Covid afflicted countries like India, Germany and the USA.
23rd November onwards, the VFS Global Offices had started accepting tourist visa applications for business and leisure purposes. It has been announced by the Consulate General of the Republic of South Africa that international tourists will be allowed to enter the country with prescribed safety rules along with a Covid certificate which shows that you are fit to travel which has been deemed mandatory by the country.
The South African government has come up with a list of rules that needs to be followed by international travellers. It has been deemed mandatory to show a negative report of the PCR test upon arrival taken no more than seventy-two hours before flying. If the international flyers fail to present one, they have to self-quarantine for two weeks at their own cost.
Some airports which are operational for international flights are Cape Town International; O.R. Tambo International, Johannesburg; King Shaka International, Durban are. The passengers would also have to furnish a Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate if the flight begins or passes through the African Yellow Fever Belt or Central or South America.
The consulate has also come up with some rules that will be applied to Indians. An Indian passport holder would require to furnish the following documents to apply for a tourist visa for South Africa:
- Passport: The passport needs to be valid for a minimum of thirty days after the journey dates and should be having at least two blank pages.
- Proof of funds: The traveller would need to provide employment and income proof. He or she would have to provide a bank statement of the last three months with a minimum balance of INR 3000 which has to be stamped officially on the bank letterhead.
- Application: The traveller has to submit a completed visa application Form-11 (DHA-84)
- Reservation details: One would also be required to furnish proof of hotel booking, number of days that person would be staying, any major service that the person would be taking from the hotels along with other details
- Itinerary: The concerned person would have to submit a detailed itinerary of his or her stay.
- Tickets: One would have to present the round trip confirmed air travel tickets.
- Photographs: Two coloured recently clicked passport sized photographs.
- Copies of passport
- The traveller would also have to attach an original covering letter confirming the trip details along with the duration of stay which needs to be duly signed by him or her.
South African accepted in an interview that he was aware that the citizens of the country were suffering from Covid fatigue and would make sure to ease the restrictions in such a way that the possibility of a second wave is as low as possible.