Italy to impose anti-virus night curfew

HomeWorldHealth

Italy to impose anti-virus night curfew

With the newly detected second wave of Coronavirus hitting Europe, one of the earliest epicenters for Covid 19, Italy has decided to impose a nation-w

ON NOVEMBER 27, DUBAI TO TURN INTO A RUNNING TRACK, DUBAI FITNESS CHALLENGE ( DFC)
RISING COVID CASES PUSH SPAIN’S REGIONS TO CALL TIGHTER RESTRICTIONS
RAJASTHAN FAMOUS PUSHKAR FAIR LIKELY TO BE CANCELLED THIS YEAR DUE TO COVID IMPACT-

With the newly detected second wave of Coronavirus hitting Europe, one of the earliest epicenters for Covid 19, Italy has decided to impose a nation-wide night curfew from 10 pm to 5 am. The curfew is said to be in effect till 3rd December. 20 regions of Italy will be classed under a three-tier system – green, orange, and red – based on how quickly the virus is spreading and availability of hospital beds among other factors with regions coming under red facing more stringent restrictive measures.

Italians are now only allowed to step out of their homes for work or health reasons.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said during a televised press conference they don’t have alternatives, on Wednesday.

This time, Conte’s government has avoided the nationwide lockdown approach which has been widely accepted by other European countries like France, Ireland, and England and is now going for the regionalized approach due to the demonstrations in the cities against the previous lockdowns.

Italy was the first country in Europe to be hit by the Coronavirus which has led to 760,000 cases and 39,500 deaths so far. Northern regions of Lombardy , in  Milan have seen a sudden rise in infections in recent weeks.

Health experts are calling for a nationwide lockdown but as the Italian Economy was badly hit because of the previous lockdowns and with one of the biggest contributing sectors – tourism being shut, many Italians have gone out of business. But the quick spread of the virus has already begun to overwhelm the healthcare systems in some areas, making lockdown inevitable.

Taking lessons from the previous lockdown, long, detailed discussions were held between Conte’s Government and the regional leaders before agreeing upon the new decree.

In the high-risk red zones, retail stores not selling essential goods will be shut, interstate, or intercity travel will be restricted and one can step out of their homes only for emergencies.

The number of passengers traveling in public transport will be restricted to half and also including at least a two-week ban on entering or leaving the region’s territory.

Under the new rule, Secondary schools will switch to online learning, although younger children will still be allowed to go to school.

Coming under the red zone is the Lombardy region with its financial capital – Milan bearing the brunt, once again. The infections and hospital saturation levels have been rising fast in this region. Sicily being slightly luckier is under the orange zone and the rest are in the moderate zone.

The restrictions were to start on Thursday but were delayed by a day to give time to give businesses affected by the new clampdowns more time to prepare.

The immediate aim of the government is to regain control over the virus spread so the hospitals don’t get under the strain of critical patients.

With the new restrictions, the country hopes to get ahead of the virus and stop its resurgence.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0